29.7.11

Africa Part 3- More Kenya- Mombasa!!




After our time at the orphanage, we flew to Mombasa. We took a little holiday after 3 weeks of exhausting traveling. We got to Mombasa, and checked into our cottage. It was the least expensive place we could find.. $35 a night.. we had a salt water shower, which made for an interesting and sticky 5 days. We were a 3 minute walk to the beach. It was beautiful!! The water was turquoise, the sand was white, and the weather was HOT!  We spent a lot of time walking the beach..which was really nice, but, the one downfall was that we couldn't go out of the cottage without getting bombarded with people trying to sell us things. And, men are pretty forward in Mombasa. I think we got hit on every time we left the cottage.

We did a 1 day safari, which was awesome! We saw elephants, lions, zebra, giraffes, buffalo, baboons, and tons of deer. We got to ride in this open top van that we could stand in. It was pretty sweet!

The van!

Zebra

 Safari Hats!

After the safari, we spent a day relaxing, then we went on a dolphin tour! We took a boat out in between the mainland and an island, and right away we saw dolphins! Our boat was able to follow them, and we boated with them for about 45 minutes. We went to the island for lunch, and then got to spend time snorkeling! I wish that I had an underwater camera, because I saw some beautiful fishies!!






A Masai Warrior.. he invited me to his village for fish (I didn't go.. who knows, it could have been a marriage proposal!) , and was really intrigued by my braids!

Mombasa is a very westernized town. A lot of Europeans go there for holiday, and there are a lot of resorts, bars, and shopping. Among all the shopping, there was still a lot of poverty. As great as Mombasa is, it just doesn't sit right with me, that so many people can turn off their senses to the poverty around them. I definitely felt guilty being there. Another thing.. Mombasa is predominately Muslim. We counted 5 mosques, to every church.  It was vastly different to Central Kenya, which was mostly Christian.

I think that Mombasa is a town that really needs people to bring the Lord there. There is a lot of human trafficking, prostitution, and drugs. We were sitting at a restaurant, and at the table next to us, there was an older, Caucasian man sitting with 3 young black women. He was probably in his 50's, and the girls were still in their teens. The man was giving them beer, buying them what ever they wanted to eat. I didn't want to judge, but the whole situation seemed wrong. The idea of what may have been going on, made me sick. I pray that God's hand was on that situation.

As beautiful as the scenery was, I don't think that that I would go back to Mombasa (unless God told me to go..). It was really hot and humid, and I don't do heat that well. It was too much of a party town, and watching tourists ignoring whats happening around them would make me angry.

After Mombasa, we flew back to Nairobi, and spent 11 hours waiting at the airport, until our next flight to London. It was a long day, and we were sad to be leaving Africa. God willing, I can go back one day.


Stay tuned for a blog post of our time in London!

5 comments:

  1. A-stinking-mazing. This makes me so excited for Ethiopia! I don't think we get to go on a safari, but I'd love to one day. What if you had gone with that guy and it was a proposal? Haha! I know what I see will burden me as well, but I hope it motivates me to give even more of the blessings we have here for the cause of Christ!

    Oh and London too? Geeze!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I can't believe in a little over a month I will be making my first hopefully of many trips to Africa! I am going to Parakou, Benin in West Africa. Can't wait to share with you about my adventures and love reading about yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! How wonderful! I'm so glad you commented on my blog post so that I could find your page here. What an amazing trip! I'm looking forward to reading more on your page. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. these pictures are lovely, and it's sad to think of the things that young girls suffer when given to trafficking and prostitution... thank you for sharing this and for going there and answering the call by going to share the Lord there...

    ReplyDelete
  5. the human trafficking is sickening and deplorable. I can't imagine the evils of those who force young boys , girls and women into it but also the customers who in their own country woudl be locked up. What dread faces them after death. God will not be mocked. Better to have never been born than to so anything evil to one of these little ones.

    ReplyDelete