8.3.11

Pretty

Remember the days when girls wore dresses all the time?
Not just dresses, but beautiful, frilly, poofy, dresses.

The 50's were a time for femininity, and a classic style. The clothing was bright and had bold prints. If I could go back to any decade, I would like to be the age I am now, in the 50's. I really wish that women today still more dresses all the time.. that we didn't feel like we had to wait for a special occasion to wear something fancy.

I have been a collector of 50's party dresses for a few years.  I have 6 dresses, and one wedding dress. I have got my dresses at thrift stores, and antique sales. 
Every time I find a dress, I am amazed that someone would get rid of such a pretty article of clothing. I always wonder who wore it, and what occasion was it for.

On Friday, I was at the Salvation Army, and was walking though the woman's department. I glanced towards the prom dresses and saw it. A soft green, with flowers and rhinestones along the sweetheart neckline. It had a ruched top and a full tulle bottom. My heart nearly skipped a beat. I rushed over to it, and looked over it for any tears or stains. It was completely flawless. Then I checked the price and my stomach dropped. $50. That was more then I paid for all my other dress combined, minus the wedding dress. I spent a good five minutes telling myself that I didn't need it, but after seeing someone else eye it up, while it was in my arms, I knew that I could not leave the store without it. I paid, shot one look of defeat to the person eying up my dress, caught them glaring at me, and left.

Once in my car, I was so happy I bought it. So Happy!!
I want to post a picture of it, but that will have to wait until tomorrow, when I can get my camera.

Until then, look at the some other beautiful dresses.

This is part of my collection. In the very back, you can just barely see the wedding dress. I have now added another pink dress, a pink child's tutu, and now my green dress.



One thing that makes me really happy, is that finally, there are more dresses that have tulle, and swooshy skirts. Here are some pictures of modern, but vintage inspired dresses.


2 comments:

  1. oh man... I loove your style! So pretty... feminine... vinage. *sigh* Don't you wish we had the money and recources to actually dress like that still???
    *sigh*

    Thanks so much for following me. :D I'm flattered.

    I loove your blog, so I'm now following back!
    Thanks for actually letting me know that you followed :D Some people don't and then I miss out on their fantastic blogs.

    xx,
    Bleah

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosssh! I was born in the wrong time period, I just know it!!!! I dream of being a 50s glamor girl :) good thing vintage is so hot right now! Love these pictures girlie!

    ReplyDelete